FOOD – Make a Lyle’s Golden Christmas Pudding this Christmas
Time to prepare: 15 minutes plus overnight standing
Cooking time: 3 hours plus 1 hour to reheat
- * 115g butter or margarine
- * 115g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Light Brown Soft Sugar
- * 2 medium eggs, beaten
- * 75g self raising flour
- * 2 tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- * Grated zest and juice 1 small orange
- * 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- * ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- * 75g raisins
- * 125g sultanas,
- * 75g ready-to eat dried apricots, chopped
- * 75g dried sour cherries or cranberries
- * 50g cut mixed peel
- * 3 balls of stem ginger in syrup, finely chopped
- * 1 apple, peeled and grated
- * 75g fresh brown breadcrumbs
- * To decorate:
- * Small bunch of red grapes,
- * Egg white
- * Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Caster sugar
- * Holly sprig
- * For the Orange Brandy Butter:
- * 125g unsalted butter, softened
- * 75g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Icing Sugar
- * 2 tbsp Lyle’s Golden syrup
- * Grated zest 1 small orange
- * 3-4 tbsp brandy
- Cream the butter or margarine with the Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Light Brown Soft Sugar until creamy then gradually beat in the eggs with a little of the flour. When the eggs have been added, stir in the remaining flour, the spices and Lyle’s Golden Syrup.
- Add the orange zest and juice with the dried fruits and the mixed peel.
- Slowly stir in the breadcrumbs the mixture should have a soft dropping consistency.
- Butter and line the base of a 1.2litre/2 pint pudding basin with a small round of baking parchment. Stir the pudding, (with the family making a wish) then turn into the pudding basin. Smooth the top. Cover the pudding with a double sheet of baking parchment which has a pleat in the centre to allow for expansion. Then cover either a pudding cloth or tin foil with a pleat in the middle.
- Place in top of steamer, placed over a pan of gently simmering water and steam for 3 hours. Remember to top up the pan with boiling water as necessary. This pudding can be eaten immediately or stored for two weeks. To store, once cooked, re-cover with fresh paper then store in a cool dark place until required. Before serving, steam for a further 1 hour
- Wash the grapes and dry, dip in egg white then toss in caster sugar and set aside to dry.
- Serve with Orange Brandy Butter, cream the butter until soft then beat in the Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Icing Sugar, Lyle’s Golden Syrup and orange zest. Gradually beat in the brandy, spoon into a serving dish and chill for at least 1 hour.
Lyle’s Golden Syrup: This recipe is made using Lyle’s Golden Syrup, for more delicious recipes visit Lylesgoldensyrup.com